Axpo Deutschland has signed a twelve-year power purchase agreement (PPA) with Siltronic, a producer of silicon wafers used in semiconductor manufacturing. The deal is for the supply of 30 GWh of electricity per year from a solar plant planned to be built without state subsidies, and it is one of the first solar PPAs in Germany without state support, marking a milestone in the country’s renewable energy development. Other renewable energy companies around Europe are also making moves in this sector, with European Energy announcing an agreement to build three wind farms with a combined capacity of 128 MW in Poland, Repsol acquiring an 860 MW solar project in Spain, and Statkraft selling power from a solar plant in Italy.
Axpo Deutschland’s PPA with Siltronic
Siltronic’s current electricity supply comes mainly from traditional power generation, which makes up a large part of its carbon footprint. The PPA with Axpo Deutschland will help the company improve its sustainability efforts by reducing its carbon emissions by around 18,000 tonnes per year for a period of twelve years. The power will be supplied from a solar plant that is yet to be built, which will be located in Germany and have a capacity of 170 MW. The plant is expected to be operational by 2025.
European Energy’s Wind Farms in Poland
European Energy, a leading developer of wind and solar power plants in Europe, has announced plans to build three wind farms with a combined capacity of 128 MW in Poland. The projects will have a total investment of €140 million, with construction expected to start in the first quarter of 2021 and to be completed by 2022. The wind farms will generate around 400 GWh of electricity per year, equivalent to the energy consumption of more than 20,000 households, and will help the country to achieve its renewable energy targets.
Repsol’s Acquisition of 860 MW Solar Project
Spanish energy company Repsol has acquired a 40% stake in a 860 MW solar project in Spain, with the remaining 60% stake held by Spanish renewable energy company, Ibereólica. The project, known as Valdesolar, will involve an investment of around €200 million and will be one of the largest solar projects in Europe, covering an area of 2,000 hectares. Repsol aims to have 4.5 GW of renewable energy capacity by 2025, and this acquisition is part of its strategy to become a leading player in the renewable energy sector.
Statkraft’s Solar Plant in Italy
Norwegian energy company Statkraft has signed a ten-year power purchase agreement (PPA) with Italian renewable energy developer Renergetica for the supply of electricity from a 10 MW solar plant located in the Marche region. The plant will generate around 18 GWh of electricity per year, equivalent to the energy consumption of around 6,000 households. The PPA is part of Statkraft’s strategy to expand its renewable energy portfolio in Europe, and will help to meet the increasing demand for renewable energy from Italian consumers.
PPAs are becoming increasingly popular in Europe, providing renewable energy companies with a stable source of revenue and helping to reduce carbon emissions. The recent announcements from Axpo Deutschland, European Energy, Repsol, and Statkraft demonstrate the growing interest in renewable energy in Europe, and the importance of private sector investment in supporting the transition to a low-carbon economy.